Re: <E28> Strut Housing Question

Ed Walters asks:
>Does anyone know the inside diameter of the strut housing for my
>E28 535is?

Ed,

The strut outer diameter is about 51mm (2.0 inches) while the
inner diameter is about 46mm.

I'm not sure why you're asking, but if it's just to figure out
which strut insert (shock) works, any E28 or '83-on E24 will
physically fit.

The E24, E28 strut housings are all the same (1/97 price):
    31 31 2 226 166   spring strut housing front left    $ 222.00
    31 31 2 226 167   spring strut housing front right     222.00

They've been been updated several times through the years, but
are all interchangeable.  As proof of that, I'm running a 528e
left front strut housing on my M5 (don't ask).  The most noticeable
different between the old and new is the stronger sway bar link
mount, which is a weak point for cars that are driven hard.  Like
many others, I've strengthened the mount by welding a trapezoid shaped
eighth-inch steel piece which boxes-in the front of the mount.

  Pete Read
  '88 M5
  Arlington, VA