Re: Stereo Code

>Rick wrote:
>I bought my '88 M5 with the stereo giving the "CODE" salutation (battery
>had been disconnected, previous owner apparently not musically inclined).
>I managed to retrieve the proper code for this specific unit from a
local...

The instructions to reactivate the radio are specific.  I once had to enter
the code to my radio but I didn't know about the "rules".  I didn't get it
right and the radio just beeped at me.  I RTFM and go it right.  If you mess
up, it's not convenient to start over (anti-theft rule #1, make it a pain in
the ass and the thief will move to the next car).

The following (just the highlights) come from the radio manual:

Features & operation:
1 - when the ignition key is removed an LED on the radio will flash.

2 - if the key is removed from the ignition and a radio button is pushed,
the anti-theft inscription will flash for 5 minutes.

3 - if voltage to the radio drops to less than 5 volts the word "code" will
appear and the proper code needs to be entered to activate the radio.

4 - when the radio is on and "code" appears enter the 5-digit code.  If the
correct code is not entered in three successive tries the radio will not
accept entry until the radio has been left ON for one hour.  (Make sure it's
at least an hour, I tried after what I thought was an hour but was actually
only 58 minutes, so had to start over.)

If when entering the code you make a mistake, you must continue and finish
the 5-digit entry (there is no backspace).  Code will reappear and then
enter the correct 5-digit sequence.

If a push-button is touched when the ignition is "off", a warning tone will
sound.  Turn the ignition to the "on" position and the warning tone will
stop.

So if you've messed up entering the code, plan and go for a fun one hour
drive and then try again.  Hopefully the drive will have taken away any of
the inconvenience.  (I can hear it now: Honey, I've got to go for that one
hour drive again because of that damn intermittent electrical problem.)

Jerry