Re: '87 E30 325iC -right side of the gage cluster light is out

Hi Peter-
There are in fact a lot of little lights back there.  However, there are only
two main ones that provide the back lighting for your cluster.   One of these
has in fact burned out.  Take the cluster out and look for the two brown plastic
sockets that are about the size of a penny.  Turn them counterclockwise to
remove them and replace your burnt out bulb.  Reverse operation and you're
done.  Make sure you use the same wattage bulb as you take out.  Otherwise,
you'll soon have white light on one side of your cluster ;)  Good luck.

"Peter Sankiewicz (Volt Computer)" wrote:

> Hi All,
> I would appreciate some thoughts on a problem I'm having. I'm trying to
> decide exactly how to repair the backlight for my tachometer and temperature
> gage. I know that it couldn't be the light bulbs since there is a dozen of
> them or so and the cluster is completely dark, that imo leaves one option,
> there is an open circuit somewhere, in which case it may take an excessive
> amount of time to track down. So, would it make more sense to take the car
> in to the dealer to fix that or is the process of opening up the cluster,
> tracking the wiring and so forth easy enough to do for someone who isn't
> overly patient.
> tia, Peter

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com