Chris, you wrote:
>most people hit their brake lights waaaaaaayyyyy
>before they have to and if you leave enough distance between you and the
>car in front of you (less than you'd probably think) you usually don't
>have to hit your brakes at the FIRST sign of red in front of you. If you
>learn to read the traffic around you, after a while you get pretty good
>at anticipating whats going to happen.

Good practice but harder to implement, at least around here.  Most drivers
in the San Francisco Bay area seem to believe that the buffer zone I try to
keep between me and the car ahead of me (I was taught 1 car length/10 mph)
is a space reserved just for them  - personally - to cut in front of me so
that they can get ahead by a car length!

Harvey