HELP! My 535i Threw Up!

I got in my '88 E28 535i this morning, on my way to work, and turned over
the engine for ~2 seconds when I heard/felt a <CLUNK> emanating from just
beneath my legs, sounding to the aft of the engine but maybe not.  I ceased
turning over for an instant, and tried again.  I was able to start it, but
the engine died immediately after removing my foot from accelerator.  I was
able to similarly start it several more times, w/same result (delayed when
I kept foot on pump and gunned engine, but same end result).  Can anyone
suggest what may have happened?  I smelled something after clunk, now I
can't recall if it was asbestos (clutch) smelling or some other smell
(being before my morning coffee).  The car has been running tremendously
since I bought it a month ago;  I've had it on two long distance (~1K mile)
trips so far, changed the oil last weekend, and had it certified as "the
best 100K car I've ever inspected" by my mechanic.  Time limitations may
force me to have it towed to said mechanic this week, unless anyone has any
ideas on what I should do to diagnose.  The oil level is OK (low end of
range).  Fortunately, I have the Cannondale XS-800 cyclocross 2-wheeler to
get me back and forth in the short term.

Any assistance will be most appreciated!

- -George Ax
fix-it-and-I'll-shark-it '88 535i

George R. Ax, Jr.
BDM Federal, Inc.
Director, Sensors and Photonics
 .    .       .    .    ... Design,Analysis,
.      .     .      .  .    Simulation,Testing
         . .

End of bmw-digest V9 #196