<WOB>REPLY-Maxima vs. BMW?

I agree with Bill Gusky's comment about the Nissan Maxima.  I was in the
market for a new car this past July, and after discounting the 99 328i
(looks like a bathtub, luke warm reviews...) I drove as many 4Dr cars as I
could.  Maxima SE was the winner, if you can get over it's looks (I really
need an E34! or an E36 without the center console).  Soooo, for the next
four years, I'll be testing Mr. Gusky's assertion.  Again, I would much
rather have a Bimmer, but just can't stand the stylistic turn they've
taken.
Hope this helps.  The SE was about 10-12,000 less than comparable (well,
not really, but still interesting) 328i.  Now, if only they came with rear
wheel drive...
Pete

I'll toss in my perspective, FWIW.  Current generation (1995+ model year)
Maxima is a great value.  Take advantage of frequent $2000.00 rebates,
negotiate pretty well, and for around $23,000-$24,000 (or less, if you can
do without a couple of the option packages) you can get a pretty well-loaded
Maxima, thats very spacious, huge trunk, has a strong 190hp silky smooth 6
cylinder motor, with an equally smooth and impressive drivetrain.
Reliability is well above average.  IMHO, much better bang for the buck
overall than Accords, Camry's, 626's or Millenias, etc.  But, is it in the
same league with BMW?  I can't agree to that.

Handling-Average, even on the "sporty" SE.  No comparison to even a non
sport-suspensioned 3 series.
Looks-Front and rear look like totally different cars.  Like one guy
designed the front end, and his retarded brother did the back end. (No
offense to retarded brothers)
Ride Quality-Good, but doesn't handle bad roads or road imperfections nearly
as well as BMW's thoroughly engineered suspension.   Big bumps really upset
the suspension, much more so than BMW's.   And could there be any more space
between the tire/wheelwell on these things?  You would have to drop it at
least 2 inches and put on a Plus 1 wheel/tire upgrade to achieve a BMW-like
agressive look/stance.  I can only imagine what happens to ride quality if
that is done.
Overall Engineering- Again, good, but no prize.  Small things really come
into play:
- -Wind noise at highway speeds are higher than in my 6 year old E36 318is,
especially if you open the Nissan  moonroof. (even WITH the Nissan factory
sunroof wind deflector in place.)
- -Full-Sized GM-DELCO-type stereo in the center of the dash.  I hate non-DIN
sized radios.  Period
- -Why do Japanese and American cars have a dash mounted switch to turn on the
cruise control, AND have the wheel or stalk mounted controls to actually
set/deactivate the cruise controil?  Isn't it more convenient the way BMW
has it...simply push the stalk to activate it, pull it to deactivate it.
Simple.  Easy.  Convenient.
- -In the BMW, you can open/close the windows/sunroof after you turn off the
car when you come to a stop, as long as you don't open the door.  The key
must be in the ignition position (past the acc, with all dash lights lit) to
open/close the roof/windows on the Maxima.  True, not a big deal, but think
how many times you've dropped someone off, or been waiting for someone, or
removed your key THEN decided to close your sunroof or windows.  Nice to not
have to turn the key back to full ignition position, isnt it?
- -I find it nice when I run into sudden stopped traffic on the Beltway, to be
able to click on my Hazard lights briefly, to warn speeding drivers 1/8th of
a mile behind me.   Easy on the BMW..hazard switch is right behind the
stick, right below where your right hand rests when you use your armrest.
Perfect. Maxima has its switch mounted up high, center of the dash.
- -Isnt it nice when you run low on fuel, the BMW warning light comes on..and
stays on.  Maxima (and most other cars) has that deal where it comes on, may
flicker, my not be on next time you get into the car..then will stay on when
you get reallly low.  as if the car is saying, "You need gas...I think..wait
a minute, maybe not...Im undecided".
- -Why have ONLY the drivers side window with the one touch feature?  And WHY
no one touch up, only down? BMW has one touch up AND down, and no one has
been decapitated yet!   Thats what I need the most...goddammit, I've just
purchased my Mcdonald's meal #3...Im placing the drink in the cupholder, and
I've got my fries in my lap, almost scolding my most intimate of male areas,
and I've got to steer out of the drive-through.  It's raining, and I need
the wndow up NOW.  (Side Note:  Is it just me, or are the roof gutters above
the drive-in lanes of every Mcdonald's located in...in..in..alright, I'll
say it..in black neighborhoods broken/clogged so gallons of water gush in
your open window?? Whats THAT deal all about?)

Not only have I been as nit-picky as an old broad, I've digressed, and made
derogatory comments about black Mcdonalds.  I certainly will feel the wrath
of this too lengthy post.  Despite the tirade above, the Maxima is a fine,
powerful, roomy, reliable car.  But I also see why people who can't afford a
brand new BMW of their liking, choose to get a used, possibly high-mileage
BMW over a brand new "other" car.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD