<MISC> re:Steering Rack Question

Mike '86 325 asks
>I acquired a used steering rack from a 318 to replace the
>leaking one on my '86 325. The guy who sold it to me told
>me that it never leaked. This weekend I had a chance to
>examine it and one of the boots has a hole in it that
>has some fluid leaking when placed under pressure.

from what I understand, the boot is meant to keep dirt and crap away from
the seals.. it is *not* meant to keep fluid in.

if there is fluid in the boot, that means the seals are leaking.
IE: the rack is toast.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i - rack leaked; snipped power steering pump belt;
         no more leak; works great!