'86-87 3xx transmission swaps

Hello gang,

Have questions about the swapability of an '86 325e 5 speed transmission
to an '87 325i engine.  Questions are:  bell housing bolt pattern, crank
shaft bolt pattern, drive shaft length, and starter bolt up.  In udder words,
will my 325e stuff bolt right up, or am I gonna have to buy a new
flywheel/clutch assembly, and a new starter.  Of course, this ignores the
really painful part which is the underdash clutch petal install, but that's
part 2.  I can buy an 87 325i cheap, but it's an automatic, and therefore
not something I'm interested in.  But a tranny swap sure would fix things...

thanks,

- -bob

Bob Smith
AI Signal Research