<E21> re:Help: 320i cold start problem

Ben Duong asks
>I am new to the list. So what is the equivalent
>E number for the 320i?
>Anyway, my car won't idle when cold.
>With the carburetor, I know there's a choke.
>But on the fuel injection, I am lost here.

E21 is 3 series '77 - '83 model years (NA)

Buy a Haynes manual ( ~$15 ) for your car, it is well worth it.

There is also an E21 digest. You might want to join.

Idle: check the extra air slider valve (?)... it is a small cylindrical thing
on top of the engine that has a bimetallic valve that opens when cold
(closes when hot) to let extra air in..

it is often clogged with carbon (clean out with lots of wd40, carb cleaner etc)
and can also be adjusted (small bolt on side, loosen, move plate inside,
tighten)

hope this helps

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i