95 M3 surging idle when cold

my car is usually easy to start and the idle settles quickly to 800 rpm.
Recently,  I started it in the morning and drove about 1 bock. About 20 minutes
later, the engine would crank much longer before starting and the idle would
surge between 1000 and 3000 rpm. The idle would finally settle to 800 rpm after
about 1 minute of surging. I have not had any problems when the car is driven a
long time after the first start of the morning.

My car is and 84 318 with a 95 m3 motor. The engine was installed  30K miles
ago. I have driven it for about 5K miles with no problems. The check engine
light wiring to the DME has not been sorted out yet so, I don't know if the
check engine light is coming on. I also cannot access the flash codes to see if
the DME is picking up  fault conditions. The fault codes could be read by the
repair shop.

Please let me know if you have any solutions to my problem.
thank you
John Pease
84 313 with 95 m3 engine
74 tii