Gas Gauge

Hi all, this weekend I had a problem with my 95 318is gas gauge.  I was
very low on fuel so I stopped and filled up.  When I got back to the car
and left the needle did not move from the spot it was in when I started to
fill.  I drove around and the needle went all the way past the redline into
the "E".  I thought that the gas was falling out somewhere.  Checked
nothing.  I stopped and started my engine a couple of times and it still
was stuck at "E".  I left it for a while and came back about an hour later.
Started up the engine and the needle was back to normal "full".  STRANGE.
But wait ........ There is one more strange thing...... Later that evening
I got in and started it, and noticed that again it was stuck in the "E"
position.  But then it, very slowly with a jumpy motion it moved up to the
"F" position.   Where normally it would jump to the fuel position as soon
as the ignition was turned on.

Anybody with a suggestion or a fix please help.........

Dean Shwed
95 318is
99 M Roadster (on order)