<E34> tail light, works, but doesn't work

My left rear tail light has a problem.  My car is a '92 535i.  When I turn
on the lights, the tail light usually goes on.  Then after a while, the
tail light warning comes on and beeps.  if I go tap on it or jiggle some of
the wires it usually goes back on. What is my problem? Bad connection
somewhere? Could the bulb just be bad-but why would it work at all if the
bulb is bad?  Any tips would be great, thanks.

Michael Gruby
e-mail: gruby@domain.elided
University of Illinios
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~gruby