Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Adjustable Clutch Stops, and More

Hi:

A few days ago, I posted a message about having some extra clutch stops.
Since then,
I've received numerous replies wanting to know what an adjustable clutch
stop was . . .
here goes:

A few months ago, I started reading about clutch stops on the digest.  I
was likewise confused,
until I visited a web page that provided more information about it.
(Sorry, I forget the URL).
Once I comprehended the concept, I realized the value of this simple
device, and quickly set about
to make one for myself.  But, back to the subject:

When you disengage the clutch on any car, there is a point at which the
clutch disengages, and you
can easily shift gears.  Most owners manuals recommend that you press the
clutch pedal to the floor
to ensure the clutch is fully disengaged.  In actuality, the clutch will
disengage at some point before the
pedal is pressed to the floor.  In the case of my 95 M3, its about 2 inches
above the floor.  Even
without a clutch stop, you can shift without pressing the clutch to the
floor, but its almost impossible
to hit the same spot -- which results in sloppy shifts.  When you install
an adjustable clutch stop,
you adjust it to the point where the clutch is properly disengaged.  Now,
when you shift, you press
the clutch to the stop, rather than the floor.  You have less clutch
travel, but still have a consistent
distance to press the clutch.  The result is quicker shifts, even if you
don't have a short shift
kit.  The total shift time is a combination of the time to disengage the
clutch, and the time to
select the gear.  The quicker you can accurately disengage the clutch, the
quicker you can begin
shifting.  The quicker the clutch is re-engaged, the quicker you have power
to the wheels.

If anyone would like more information, such as a picture of the one I have
available, please send
a note to me at bikepro@domain.elided.

In a few days, I'll add information about this subject to my web page at
http://www.he.net/~bikepro,
which will include how to make one for yourself -- using my design.

Clint