Re:e-28 vs e-24

<<<
<Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:47:58 -0700
<From: Jerry Brown <jerbrown@domain.elided>
<Subject: Decisons, decisions: E24 or E28?

<All,

<Looking for a fun daily driver, that will make a good driving school
<companion. I'm torn between an E24 and E28. (I've owned an E24 3.3
<auto). I'm leaning toward the E28 (535i or 535is, 5 spd).

<Can someone highlight the differences between E24s and E28s?

<And while I've got your attention, how about the differences between
<say, an '86 535i and a '88 535is?

<Thanks for your time,
- - <-jerry>

Jerry,

I own an 85 ///M635CSi (50,000 miles) and an 86 535i (105,000 miles)

This it what I've learned - some of it is opinion but most I believe others
(who've owned both cars) will agree with.

Cars share MANY of the same machanical parts (meaning, they can be
interchanged) springs, shocks, control arms, thrust arms, tie rods, center
links, exhausts, brakes, radiators, - MANY of the same parts.

My cars are set up (for now) almost identically - stock springs and ride
height but the 6'r has bilstiens - the 5's has some blue contraptions on the
back and I haven't a clue what on the front.  They both have 240/45/415 tires
with forged BMW rims (special anti theft models from Michelin and BBS) Both
have "Euro" headlights.
the M car has bigger and better brakes but to tell you the truth I've never
noticed the difference (might be because when I'm driving the 6 it just ain't
being pushed) the 535i has a SUPER short shifter with the M roadster stick and
a full race aluminum carrier - not a bend in sight -Yes,  I like shifting the
5 more than the M car.

The build quality on the M635 is in another league than the 535 - fit and
finnish just can't be compared.  What I mean by this is not the condition but
the quality.

The E-28 is really a better car for my purposes though.  I drive it EVERYDAY,
beat it good and it sticks like STINK in the turns.  E-28s are a dime a dozen
(IMHO) and so I don't worry about when it's parked - I can get parts every
where - try getting replacement buffalo skin rear head rests for an 85
///M635CSi
In addition it has truly HUGE bumpers which I've grown to like - it takes the
worry out of parking.

Both cars are good looking but the 6 edges out the 5 from the front at other
angles I would say they compare equally with perhaps the 5 having a slight
advantage

The 5 series looks like a more mature and serious car,  the M635 looks like,
well,  a sports car :)

535i vs 535is  - not a lot of difference:
springs
shocks
spoiler (front and rear)
sport seats
They are basically the same cars.

Best regards,

Christopher
1985 ///M635CSi ALL STOCK
1986 535 increasingly non stock,  anyone got a good M70 engine for sale???