Looking for a cheap but reliable 320i

A friend of mine is desperately looking for a 5 spd. 320i or 320iS that
would serve her well as a daily driver/city commuting car (i.e. reliable
car) for a price of $2K or less.  I know there are several "tricked out"
E21s that would fetch higher prices and I know that there are some real
money pits limping around.  Of most importance, she needs a car that is
mechanically sound. (she's a student and can't afford the high cost of
rebuilding an engine or something like that any time soon).  She is in the
SF Bay area.  Any one out there have anything that fits the bill?