Reverse switch on 84 528e

    The reverse lights are dead and replacing the switch on the
manual-trans housing did not remedy the problem.  I removed the shifter
boot and tested the leads and sure enough there's 11.7v going to the
switch.  The bulbs are not blown, and the contacts on the light assembly
are clean.  When I shift into reverse, the shifter puts some pressure on
the shroud (where window switches reside), slightly moving it.  I may
need the guts replaced here, but I figure if the shifter will go into
reverse, then it should actuate the switch.  Does this mean that the rod
inside the trans which pushes in the switch is broken/worn, or is it
just not meeting the switch due to the resistance placed on the shifter
by the shroud?  Or, is there something else that I'm overlooking,i.e..
another switch?