Brake Squeal Fix

>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:41:25 -0500
>From: kevin@domain.elided (Kevin L. Lee)
>Subject: <E36> Brake noise

>I recently changed the front and rear pads on my 1994 318ic.  I put
>Metalmasters on the front and oem pads on the rear.  I also applied
>Permatex disk brake anti-squeal to the backs of all four pads.  My front
>pads are now sounding like a poorly maintained logging truck.  Any ideas
>how to correct this?

Kevin,

Brake squeal is caused by high speed vibration of the pad in the bracket.
The 'Goop' on the back of the pads usually works, but not always. Another
trick you can do is to remove the pads and champher the leading and
trailing edges using a grinder.  Many brands of pads (like Performance
Friction) come stock like that already, and to the best of my recollection
Metalmanglers do not have it.  I don't know if there is an optimum angle to
grind (the engineers on the list can probably tell you), I just kinda do it
at about twenty degrees myself.  The champering prevents
chattering/vibration = squeal.

Duane Collie
RM3DR1/UUC/PFest2
National Capital Chapter