<E30> Intermittent Check Engine Light

In BMW Digest v09.n175 Stu Goldberg <Bimmersg@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a 89 E-30 [325is].  Intermittently my check engine light does
> not glow or glows slightly.  When this happens, the engine cranks but
> does not start.  When the light glows bright, the engine starts
> immediately.  All of the other warning lights glow bright all of the
> time.

I assume you are describing how the lights behave after you turn the key
to the ignition position but before turning it to the start position.

Your problems can be due to moisture-induced corrosion in one of the
electrical connectors in the engine compartment, especially connector
C191 under the intake manifold.  You can check it by disconnecting it
and looking for corrosion on the terminals.  You might be able to clean
them, or you might need to replace some of them.  The list of symptoms
of a corroded C191 is:

  Erratic temperature gauge
  Long cranking times
  Unsteady idle speed
  Random illumination of the CHECK ENGINE light
  Engine dies unpredictably

BMW NA Service Bulletin 12 05 89 (1862) describes this problem and how
to cure it.  If you would like a copy, email me your fax number or
postal address.

Regards,
Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii