Re: -E36- wheel recommendations

Patrick writes:

>I should be receiving my H&R/Bilstein suspension any day now for
>my 1995 M3 and am (finally!) planning to get a set of Fikse wheels
>as well.  I need a little help on the fitment.
>
>I am planning to get 17 x 8.0 in the 37.7mm offset with either
>245/40-17 or 235/40-17 all around.  Sound like the right thing?
>Do I need to roll the front and/or rear fenders?  Will I need
>spacers in the front?  I would greatly appreciate any input as well
>as other pointers.   BTW, what's the approx. wait time after
>ordering the wheels from Turner?

Patrick,

First off what you want is the 17x8.5 with the 37.7 mm offset.  The
17x8.0 Fikse's are 31.3 mm offset.  Fikse uses the same outer rim and
hub for both the 8.0's and 8.5's so the outward position relative to the
fender is the same with the extra 0.5" gained toward the inside.
Knowing this, there's really no reason that I can think of to go with
the 8.0's over the 8.5's.  With the H&R's you'll most likely need a mild
roll of the inner rear fender lip.  Mine aren't rolled but my suspension
is stock.  Other than that, the fit is perfect with no spacers needed
and the look is AWESOME... much more agressive than the stock wheels.
Count on at least 4 weeks after order for delivery.  Mine took 8 but
they were waaaay overloaded back then.

For tires, the 245/40-17 is the way to go on the 8.5's.  The fit is
perfect.  The 235/40's are the best fit on 8.0" rims but look a bit
stretched on 8.5's and offer a bit less rim protection.

My only other suggestion would be, if your going with the FM10's, to
change your brake pads to a low dust variety (ie: PBR Deluxe).  You'll
get real tired of cleaning the stock dust off your FM10's in a hurry.

Good luck and enjoy,

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 - Fikse FM10's, Sharked, BL/SS'd, X'd, Redlined, ES Exhausted

PS:  If you want to see some pics of my Black M3 with the 8.5 FM10's
just let me know.  I have some scanned that I could send you.