Re: <E28> Seat memory switch

Although we've never done this before ourselves, I'm sure it's possible.  Be
forewarned though... the memory seat features on those older cars are prone
to failure and the components are very expensive and hard to find.  Having
said that, here's what I think you'll need.  You'll need a couple pieces of
wiring from a six or seven series car.  First, you'll need the power seat
wiring.  The wiring for cars with memory seats is different.  It comes out
of the car separately, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with.  This is
the wiring that basically goes from the fuse box, under the carpet, to both
seats and the seat switches in the console.  You'll also need the memory
switch obviously.  That's the easy part.  The hard part will be finding a
spare wiring harness from a six series sport seat that had the memory
feature.  The standard seat wiring *may* work, but I'd stick with the sport
seat wiring like the seat in your M5 to be safe.  Now the real kicker... you
need the memory control box that mounts under the driver's seat.  This is
the expensive part that is prone to fail.  We typically get about $400 for a
good used one just to give you an idea.  The rest of the parts shouldn't
cost you a whole lot.  R&R your harnesses, etc. and that should do it.  A
lot more headache and expense than it's worth in my opinion, but YMMV ;)

Jim Herman wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I posted this question a while back without much response.  Hopefully
> someone can give me some info this time around.
>
> I've got an '88 M5 with the electrically adjustable seats.  What is
> required to install the seat position memory switch that is standard on
> the M6's (and other 6's)?  I like all the adjustments available for the
> system; however, it is extremely difficult to get the same driving
> position after letting my friends drive the car. I want that memory
> switch!
>
> I know I'm not supposed to let anyone else drive the car, but what can I
> say... I'm a nice guy.
>
> I no one knows how to upgrade the seats in the M5, does anyone have the
> parts list for the M6 seats?
>
> Jim Herman
> '88 M5
> '88 Nissan PU (That's Pick-up, not Pee Ewe.)

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com