<E36> HELP: battery acid spots on bumper

hi.  the other day i noticed several hundred blue-black spots on the rear
deck and bumber of my 328i.  i thought it was over spray because i was
getting a scratch touched up at  the dealership.  the body shop guys tried
buffing and wet sanding the area but were not able to remove the spots.
they concluded that battery acid was draining from the overflow tube
underneath the car and the dynamics of airflow was causing the acid to
deposit on the bumper and trunk.  i had heard of this happening to a
couple of guys on the digest a while back.  i went to dale's sight to
search the archives and found a couple of posts regarding this problem.  i
am afraid i might have trouble convincing the dealer and bmw that this is
a warranty issue.  the car was not driven on the track so that should not
be the culprit.  if you have had this problem and dealt with the dealer
can you please e-mail me what was done to resolve the problem.  i want to
have enough proof that the problem does exist before i take it to the
service advisor.  thanks.

rishi
'96 328i w/ sport pkg.