Intermittent Check Engine Light

I have a 89 E-30.  Intermittently my check engine light does not glow or glows
slightly.  When this happens, the engine cranks but does not start.  When the
light glows bright, the engine starts immediately.  All of the other warning
lights glow bright all of the time.  Has anyone experienced this?  Does anyone
know the wiring for this light?  I want to look for the ground point.  Does
any one think it may be caused by the SI board?  Any and all suggestions would
be appreciated.

Stu Goldberg
Peachtree Chapter
'89 325IS