Re: <E36 M3> Snow Tires

>Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:49:05 -0400
>From: "Ron Snaider" <rons5@domain.elided>

>A few years back on my 94 325is I had put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks
>and they were great in the snow, but felt like driving on marshmallows when
>the roads where no longer snow covered.  They also don't come in at least a
>17" diameter required for the M3.  I live in the NY area and let's just say
>that last winter was a lucky one.
>
>I'm looking for opinions from anyone with an M3 (no, I can't park it for the
>winter so I will have to drive it), who has used snow's, and what brand.  I
>have heard good things about Pirelli's, but would like to know how they
>compare to the Blizzacks, or for any other feedback.

Ron,

Blizzaks didn't come in a good size/rating for the M3, and they handle
like crap when not on snow. Since I keep my winter tires on for about 4
months that wasn't acceptable to me.

Instead I bought 225/50HR16 Pirelli 210P winter tires on 16" ACT model LS
rims, all from Tire Rack for about $1100 two winters ago. The combination
of traction control coupled with decent snow tires makes the M3 a go
anywhere proposition in winter, great fun. Just watch out for those other
idiots sliding around.

Not all 16" rims will fit, Tire Rack can tell you which. The higher
sidewalls of these 50 series tires give some extra comfort and better rim
protection over winter ruts. The nice thing about the Pirellis is that
they handle quite well in the dry.

>I plan on having them mounted to a second set of alloys, or steel if
>possible.

You won't find suitable steel wheels as far as I know.

Neil
96 M3