<E30> re:Intermittant Fan Speed Problem

>heater fan only worked on the "high" setting, but not the other settings

>On the way home I turned on the fan and discovered that all 4 speeds
>work now.

same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.. the fan started working
just after I picked up a new resistor pack..

I have heard that the solder joints often crack and you can get an intermittent
connection.. works sometimes, doesn't work other times.

Sometimes the resistor *really* fries and needs replacement, sometimes it
is just the solder joints causing problems.

I'm going to pull the pack and put in the new one (when I get some time!)
and probably reflow the solder connections on the old one and stick it
in the 'spare parts' bin.

The new pack cost $25cdn ($15us?) so it is not a big deal.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002