Snow Tires for 98 M3 (17" inch)

A few years back on my 94 325is I had put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks
and they were great in the snow, but felt like driving on marshmallows when
the roads where no longer snow covered.  They also don't come in at least a
17" diameter required for the M3.  I live in the NY area and let's just say
that last winter was a lucky one.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone with an M3 (no, I can't park it for the
winter so I will have to drive it), who has used snow's, and what brand.  I
have heard good things about Pirelli's, but would like to know how they
compare to the Blizzacks, or for any other feedback.

I plan on having them mounted to a second set of alloys, or steel if
possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ron Snaider
rons5@domain.elided