<E36> Re: Rough Idle

Paul wrote:
>i went to NY for a week to see the US open and when i came back home, i
>started my car, at first try it didn't start, i sounded like it was trying
>to start but it just didn't, and then the second try i stepped on the gas a
>little then turned the key and it started, and when i let go of the gas it
>sounded like it was going to die, so kept stepping on the gas. i sat there
>in the car warming it up, and the idle was very rough, the whole car was
>rumbling, steering wheel shaking, i'm wondering if this is normal and if i
>should go get it checked out, maybe warrantied?? the car is a 95 325i, with
>just over 37500 miles on it, change oil every 3000 miles, and just had a
>30,000 tuneup a couple of months ago. no problems (yet) with the engine so
>far. the car was parked outside on driveway in portland oregon, weather,
i'd
>say...sunny, 70-85 the week i was gone.
>any help would be appreciated.
>thanks
>paul

Paul,
I had a similar thing happen to me with my '94 325i a couple of years ago.
It was cold though and my car sat outside over a weekend.  When I went to
start up, it cranked fine seemed like plenty of power but it just wouldn't
start.  I called road side Assistance and some one arrived and gave me a
jump.

When it started, it idled rough for a while and wanted to die (just as you
describe) until I drove it and probably blew the plugs clean.

I did nothing else and it was fine since.  I don't know if it is true, but
some one told me that these cars are sensitive to low voltage (i.e. and it
is possible that sensors act strangely, crank sensors not sensing something
or other ???)

Maybe like the Valentine 1 / high beam syndrome???

I do notice a bit of a rough idle when my car sits a few days (not very
often)
and I start it up for the first time.  If everything works fine otherwise, I
would suspect your battery is discharging just enough to cause this havoc
when sitting.

I planned to change my battery for the last three years because it is worse
in the cold weather, but I aleays seem to get through the winter fine
(barring the one incident) so I just keep putting it off.  I was never
really happy with that battery after about the first year.

Regards,
Anthony