Re: Big Sockets

For removing big, stubborn nuts, one method I've used (on non-BMWs)
before is to put the biggest breaker bar you have on the socket, with the
bar extending to the right of the stubborn nut (assuming right hand
threads and looking at it from the side on which you place the socket).
Then put a floor jack under the bar and, very slowly and very gently,
raise the bar with the jack.  The weight of the car provides the force
needed.  Be VERY CAREFUL about the angle of the breaker bar so that it
does not flip out while you're doing this.  As soon as the nut starts to
loosen, lower the jack and see if you can remove it with just the bar and
socket.  If not, reposition the bar and try again, but do this in slow,
deliberate increments.  If you end up lifting the car off the jack stands
and the nut has still not come loose, you have a very big problem!  And
also a very strong breaker bar...

OK, now all you knowledgeable mechanic types can tell us why we
shouldn't be doing this.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977