How to retrieve check engine codes

It may be common knowledge, but I stumbled onto some computer info I
thought I'd pass along for the good of the collective.

"Check Engine" error codes can be obtained from BMWs without any special
equipment.  The procedure is to turn on the ignition but don't start the
car.  The "check engine" lamp should be on.  Fully press and release the
accelerator pedal five times (some sources claim six times for V12)
within five seconds.  The check engine lamp will go on for 5 seconds, go
off for 0.5, on for 2.5, off for 2.5 and then start flashing 4-digit
error codes.  There is a 2.5 second pause between digits and a longer
pause between the four digit codes (as best I can tell).  The first
digit indicates cylinder bank (M70 only, other engines always display
1), and the second digit is always 2 except for code X444 which
indicates no codes stored or X000 indicating end of code output.

The codes are:

X211 Control Unit ECU (self test)
X215 Air flow sensor
X216 Throttle position sensor
X221 Oxygen sensor
X222 Oxygen sensor regulating stop
X223 NTC Water temp sensor
X224 NTC Air temp sensor
X231 Battery Voltage Monitor out of range
X232 Idle speed switch
X233 Full load (throttle) switch
X251 Fuel injector final stage 1
X252 Fuel injector final stage 2
X253 Cyl 3 (9) fuel injector
X254 Cyl 4 (10) fuel injector
X255 Cyl 5 (11) fuel injector
X256 Cyl 6 (12) fuel injector
X261 Electric fuel pump relay final stage
X262 Idle speed control final stages (controller or air valve)
X263 Tank venting final stage (EVAP canistor purge valve)
X264 Relay 3 final stage (oxygen sensor heating relay)
X444 No faults in memory

X=1 for right cylinder bank (cyl 1-6) and all other engines
X=2 for left cylinder bank (cyl 7-12)

To cancel fault memory you can:  disconnect DME control unit or battery
ground to remove power for a few seconds, send "cancel fault memory
command" with BMW service tester, or fully press accelerator pedal for
ten seconds while code X000 is being displayed.  The code will also be
erased five engine starts after its causitive fault has been repaired.

This is the kind of information that leads to a better informed
consumer.  It's not necessary to go to dealer service, say "my check
engine light's on" and be at their mercy.  Now you can know what they
need to fix in advance or fix it yourself.  So, if you stumble onto it,
spread around that "top secret" info, for the good of the collective.

Kirk
- --

 RangeR
   BoB
 Hembrook

 '89 BMW 750iL                   	"Sputnik"	92k
 '89 Suzuki Samurai 4x4          	"Sammy"   	94k
 '88 Kawasaki ZX-10					28k