Tires for the minivan (or anything else).

I have run countless different tires on assorted family and sports cars
that we owned, and I can tell you without hesitation that I would go for
BFGoodrich Comp T/A for this application. As a matter of fact, I would
chose Comp T/A for ANY car short of flat-out racer. I had them on my MR2,
RX-7, Maxima, and am about to put 4 on Q45 and finally donate the
crappy/expensive Michelin Pilot XGT V4 ($165 a pop) to the condom factory
where they belong.
Comp T/A (and make sure it's Comp, not Touring T/A or Radial T/A ) are
excellent for dry, very good for wet and descent for snow (and I spent 12
winters in Rochester, NY) All that, and life of about 35-40K aggressive
miles (threadware of 320-380) and very reasonable pricing makes them my
choice whenever the right size is available. Tire Rack and Discount Tire
both have them, but I just found out that my local BJ's Wholesale can order
them at $65 a piece with free mounting for 215/65HR-15.
Now, this is one man's opinion, but here's what I tried:
1. BFG Comp T/A HR4/VR4 - best compromise of the bunch, best
price/performance for all season tire (Yoko A378 is almost as good, but not
quite, and cheaper, but apparently discontinued, replacement Avid H4 might
be a possibility).
2. Assorted other BFGs, OK but nowhere near the Comp T/A.
3. Pirelli P6, P600 (both OK in dry, so-so in rain, more $$), P500 (similar
to P600, less aggressive), P700Z (OK, but more expensive).
4. Assorted Dunlops, not including SP8000. Not good, quality problems,
never balanced well, nothing to brag about performance wise.
5. Yoko A509, Yoko A352 before that. 509 is hands down the best
price/performance tire out there, but snow driving is not the best. I drove
an MR2 for 2 winters in Rochester on the same set, had winter tires, did
not feel the need. But that's not to say I'm a sane person :-)
For those who do not see snow, they are excellent. The drawback is the life
of 15-20K miles. But they do not chunk during Auto-X like Comp T/A tend to :-)
6. Michelin... The worst tires I've had in my life, especially considering
pricing. Slippery, prone to hydroplaning, hard as a brick in most cases,
not suitable for any snow. Experience includes 2 full sets of Pilot XGT V4,
and assorted MXVs (the worst by far). Considering the pricing about 1,5-2x
over BFG, forget it.
7. Assorted Bridgestones/Firestones. Used to be atrocious. Got so upset at
them, I have not tried any newer Potenzas, which could be OK.
Thoughts: I'm partial to Yoko and BFG, which for the money, deliver
excellent performance. For what most of us (excluding M3s and some M5s)
drive, I think Comp T/A or Yoko A509 or newer A520 or A540 could be perfect.
Mike.S, with a new set of unidentifiable Yoko S305 that came with the car.
Anyone knows what these are?? Nothing special, BTW, but OK for 352iC with a
slush box :-(

Visit me at www.gis.net/~mikest