Re: on board computer not reading avg mpg,mph

There isn't a separate computer box that runs the OBC on your car.  The
earlier cars (>84) had a computer that ran the display unit.  Your computer
and display unit are all in one.  The OBC does read info from the
motherboard of the instrument cluster however.  If you're not getting some
of the readings, you either have a bad OBC or a bad motherboard in your
instrument cluster (assuming the readings that you can't get are the ones
that come from the cluster, i.e. avg. mpg, avg. mph, etc).  Good luck.

mark harvey wrote:

> Can anyone tell me were the computer box that controls the display is
> located on my 89 535i? One person who runs a bmw used parts yard said it
> was behind the instrument panel. I pulled it out but no luck. I was
> thinking that this car is a very early production (11/88) and it may be
> somewhere else. Can anyone help me find it?
>
> Mark Harvey
> 89 535i
> 87 325is
> 85 635csi
> 90 535i
> 83 320i ( it keeps going and going)

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com