Re: <E30><E28> BL/SS tip for sheetmetal consoles... **Rob

"Aaron Bohnen" <bohnen@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: BL/SS tip for sheetmetal consoles...
>
>I BL/SS'ed my E28 533i a few months ago with the 069 lever. Worked great.
>The other day while scrounging at the wrecker's I was able to pick up the
>big rubber boot that is used in cars with the cast shift console. I wanted
>something better than mine since the boots they used were generally crummy
>in the sheetmetal-console-equipped cars. Well, surprise surprise! The nice
>big thick rubber boot works on the car.
>
>And it makes the shifter feel much better. It is also quieter inside the
>cabin and although you hardly felt any vibration up through the shifter,
>even what little there was has been reduced.

        I would like to advise anyone considering an upgrade to the "069"
lever that it is really not anywhere near as much an improvement as the
'real' BL/SS Level 2 or Level 3.  (Technically, the "069" is *not* an
'official' BL/SS upgrade - we at UUC Motorwerks do not recommend this lever
as it is not that short a shift and raises the lever higher than stock).
The "069" lever is the Euro M3 lever which is a *longer* throw and also
taller than the US M3.

        Here's the update on the UUC Motorwerks sheetmetal console upgrade
for pre-'86 E28s and E30s:

1) The kit to make sheetmetal consoles as solid as aluminum carriers will
undergo stage-two testing this week with production-quality prototypes.
Using a rough protoype, I installed a Level 2 shifter in my '85 535i with
AMAZING results.  95% of the slop is gone (even compared to the Metric
Mechanic kit previously installed) and the console is solid as a rock.
Instructions will be step-by-step and extremely thorough as with every UUC
Motorwerks kit.

2) ERK-conversion will be a reality.  With the ERK, I will install the Level
3 for *ultimate* shifting!  Besides the regular benefit of the ERK, it will
update the sheetmetal console cars to nylon cup parts.

Keep watching the UUC Motorwerks web site - www.shortshifter.com - for
updates!

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo