1995 525i and Chip, Rev. Limit

I have a 1995 525i and am thinking of adding a chip in the hopes of
increasing mid-range performance.  Does anyone have an Idea of what
performance gains can be had with a chip (Jim C.) if the stock redline
is maintained.  From what I have been able to gather from all the
information on the list, and form some of the (few) torque curves I have
seen the removal of the rpm limit does not seem to provide much of an
advantage.  In addition, does any on e know if a chip can be custom
ordered with the rev limiter still activated at stock?