Re: E30 Sloppy Shifter

Jay Snyder wrote:

> To remove the driveshafrt, remove the 3 nuts that attach it to the output
> flange of the transmission.  Then mark the location of the center bearing
> support, and mremove the two nuts holding it.  Pull down on the center
> bearing which should then separate the driveshaft from the transmission.
> You can leave it attached the the differential, but may want to tie it out
> of the way.

It sounds like you are telling me that the output flange has three "studs"
that protrude through the flex disk, balancer, and then through the driveshaft
flange, and finally held in place with nuts.  I was under the impression that
these were bolts that needed a wrench on the tranny side to hold them from
turning while I remove the nuts.  Is this true?  If so, that makes life a lot
easier.  If not, how do I get a wrench on the heads of the bolt?

TIA,
Norm

> If you need the remove the output flange, you'll need a 30mm thin wall
> deep socket (get one from Steve D @ the Ultimate Garage).  While you're at
> you should get a new rear seel, as yours probably leaks some (they all do
> at this age).
>
> When putting the driveshaft back in place, make sure you align the marks
> you made for the center bearing.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jay
> '89 325i w/ 15x7 Borbets & Jim C. Chip :-)
> '74 2002
> '72 2002 (future 325i engine recipient!)
> '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 Conv (4spd)
> '82 Chevy C20 Diesel Pickup (Parts hauler and tow vehicle)
> '82 323i (parting out due to terminal rust)
>
> http://www.microserve.net/~jsnyder

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***