Re: European delivery query...

John Schneider wrote:

> I have enjoyed for some time the informative postings from all of you
and
> appreciate the comprehensive knowledge of this digest.  Now I have a
> question for you...
>
> I am buying a new BMW this Fall and am considering taking advantage of
the
> Euro-delivery program.  Is this a good idea?  Is it well organized?
Is it
> fun?  Is it worth it?  Is it a pain?

In June of this year I decided to get a Euro-delivery in late October of
a new E46. The problem was that I wanted the Sport package, and that
wasn't going to be in production until after my trip. I also wanted
cloth (rather than leatherette or leather) seats. They (BMW NA) would
not take the special order with such short notice in the beginning of
the E46 US production. The dealer was willing to give me their first
non-demo E46 as a Euro-delivery, but my choices were limited.

For the reasons above and also because of airline reservation problems,
I ended up re-scheduling my trip for April, '99. With that delivery date
the Sport Package is no longer a problem, and they're "considering" the
cloth request.

Bottom line: the more advance notice you give BMW NA, the more likely
you'll be able to get what you want. You didn't say what model you were
considering, but if you really want something this fall, run (don't
walk) to your nearest dealer (or call Steve Diamond), and get them
working on the order no later than yesterday. Otherwise, your choices
will be severely limited if you can get a car at all.

Hope this helps,
Evan