Dash Lights Question

I've got a question about my '84 vintage 733:  there are two thumbwheels in
the center of the dash operating the automatic climate control system, and,
in the time I've owned the car, these have not been illuminated at night.
My questions are (1) Are there lights back there to illuminate these?
(There must be) and (2) How do you get to them?  There are some screws on
the faceplate around the center of the dash,  but when I remove these,
nothing much happens.  It seems like there are other screws, maybe behind
the radio, but I haven't figured out how to get the radio out either. (I've
got a non-standard BMW radio - one that does not use the little radio
'keys' that came with the car).
I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer, maybe a post to the digest
in case anyone else has a similar problem.
Thanks, Robert
'84 733
'89 Corvette
'78 Bronco