e28 air conditioner

I have an 87 528e.  I drove from Miami, FL to Orlando this past
weekend.(Total 400 miles)  Everything went perfect on the way up.  Halfway
on the way back, my air conditioning was not getting really cold as it had
use to.  Also my girlfriend told me that about the same time I noticed the
temperature was rising inside the car, under the glove compartment was
dripping as if it was condensing.  When we stopped to eat, the car was
dripping a little more water than usual.  The next morning after I got home,
I used the Bentley's manual to test  if the refrigerant was low.  I saw
through the sight glass that there was white foam.  The manual tells me that
it is low.  I hope that that is the case.  I have had the car a whole year
without out touching a component of the air conditioner(it has been running
beautifully).  But I don't know what the last owner has done.  All the parts
look original from factory.
Thank You
Alex Montoya
montoya@domain.elided