Power seat partial failure

The passenger power seat in my 92 525 is acting up.

When you try to recline the back, the right side does not move, but
the left side does. This causes the seatback to twist in place. (Very
disconcerting to the person in the seat).

What should I check? Obviously at least some motor is working, else
left side of the seat back wouldn't move. But is there a separate
motor for the other side or is part of the mechanism likely off track?

Derek (92 525i E34, Atlanta GA)