Getting Into BMWs <wob?>

Well, maybe I'm a week late with this (just back from "vacation"), but I'll
contribute anyway.  We owned a 1981 Mazda RX-7, and it was the best
car we had ever owned - rotary engine that revved forever, balanced
handling, good looks, decent brakes, fun to drive.  Except  there was one
problem - other drivers kept running into it.  Six times.  Never our fault.
Day, night, freeway, city streets, driving, parked, it didn't matter.  The
first driver to hit it was on assigned risk.  She was the only one that
even had any insurance.  After number 6, the worst one where we
actually feared for our lives, we decided the car was jinxed, and sold it.

In 1984, there were no other interesting, fun, good looking new cars
available that we could afford and would want to own.  Except for
maybe another RX-7, but we couldn't bring ourselves to do that just then.

One day, we were sitting around at our friend Peter's house.  He owned
a 320i and was (still is) a CCA member.  There were a couple of
Roundels sitting on the coffee table, so I started leafing through them,
and found the classifieds.  Among the cars listed were some local used
323i's and a 630csi that were in our price range, and a whole lot more
interesting than any new car we could afford.  As soon as we saw and
drove the 630, we had to have it.  Reseda green, beige (tan?  saddle?)
leather, 4 speed, sunroof, BBS wheels, aftermarket suspension. (VIN
5500345, is it still out there somewhere?)  It was our first Bimmer.  I
loved it, repainted it, rebuilt the engine, refinished the wheels, lots of
stuff.  Then we had a kid, and  getting the kid and child seat in and out of
the coupe was a real pain.  We couldn't afford two Bimmers, so we
replaced the 630csi with a 1988 535i.  I still miss the 630.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid (our 5th Bimmer)