<E36> Driving school prep.

Howdy -

I'm not an M3 owner yet (still shopping :^), but my driving school prep
info should still be relatively applicable.

THE CAR
Yep, fresh pads, and at least a backup set. On my '95 Corvette I
typically ran PFC (93 compound I believe) - dust like crazy, but
stopping is like hitting a brick wall.  I just switch back to a OEM pad
for street driving.

I also used Motul 5.3 fluid - very high boiling point, and mixes with
DOT 2/3 fluid so you won't have to flush your entire system.  Another
popular fluid is the F*rd heavy duty - high boiling point, *but* only
like $3 a can (vs. upwards of $20 for 'hi-perf' fluids).

I always do an oil change too (I run Mobile-1 synthetic) - and double
check tranny/rear-end fluids.

Remember, if anything on the car is marginal, it will probably fail
under the stress of road racing (even school type events)

Anything else you can lug, in terms of repair items is worthwhile - it's
bad news to have to sit out because of a failed $2 part.

Other items I typically bring along are:
belt(s)
brake lines (I actually ruptured a stainless line at Sebring)
extra set of brake pads
fluids: oil/coolant/tranny
loads of tools, a good jack, a 'bag-o-rags'
extra tires and wheels (I know, this is logistically impossible
sometimes)
a squeegie and bucket - some of these tracks are *very* dusty

THE DRIVER
Liquids, Liquids, Liquids!  As much water and/or Gatoraid as you can lug
- - and lunch goodies as the track stuff is usually pricey and greasy :^)

I usually wear tennis shoes, and have a couple of changes of clothes, as
well as something cool to wear between runs and classes (long sleeve
shirt, and long pants are required while driving)

A big beach umbrella can be a life saver!  Most events don't have a
shady place to park your car.

And of course, the required helmet - probably a M or SA 90 or better.

THE TRACK
I've run Summit Point - fun track (actually, they all are :^) - a little
rough in places, and a real handful if it rains.  Some elevation
changes, a great front straight (leading into a nasty eat-your-brakes-up
turn 1) Alotta variation that'll give you a chance to work on all sorts
of techniques.  It's way out in the cornfields, so don't turn around,
you may think you're headed in the wrong direction <g>.

Good luck - Have fun!

DT

> >Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 14:15:04 -0400
> >From: "Mudry, Robert (CAP, AMR)" <rob.mudry@domain.elided>
> >Subject: <E36> Driving school prep.
> >
> >Hey Gang,
> >
> >In preparation for the driving school this coming Friday, I have the option
> >of either keeping my current brake pads (brand new Repco/PBR deluxe) or
> >switching back to original stock Pagid pads (half worn).  Would it be worth
> >my time and effort to do this or should I just run the Repco/PBR's.  Also,
> >how fresh is the brake fluid supposed to be?  How many months old max?  I'm
> >running Racing Blue which is couple of months old.
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Rob Mudry
> >'96 328is
> >BMW CCA # 135536
>
> Rob,
>
> Don't even think of running on the track with PBR Deluxe pads. They'll
> vaporize after about 2 run sessions. Put the stock pads back in, but keep
> an eye on them for wear. Your brake fluid should be fine.
>
> Neil
> 96 M3

> End of bmw-digest V9 #151

- --
Daniel Tuten                dtuten@domain.elided
RAMWORKS                    http://www.ramworks.com
CTO.Director of Engineering fon 904.636.0079 [x14]
Jacksonville.FL.32207       fax 904.636.0042

End of bmw-digest V9 #154