Goodbye 1997 M3

Like many others, I have been lurking on this digest.  Finally, I have
something to share.

Last weekend, my 1997 M3/4 was totaled in a freeway accident.  I was
basically stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic when a Toyota Land Cruiser
SUV just plowed into me at 40-45 mph (according to the guy at the body
shop).  I had less than a second to pray that the way-too-fast approaching
SUV in the rear view mirror would slow down.  Boom and I was knocked into
two other stopped cars in front of me thereby causing a four car pileup!

The good news is that the E36 body worked as designed -- the front and
especially the rear took serious damage while the passenger compartment
(and me) remained relatively intact.  A photo of the car would be a great
commercial for BMW.  The CHPs were pretty surprised I was able to walk away
from the accident.

One thing that concerns me is the high-riding SUV appears to have slid over
and/or pushed down the rear bumper (and spare tire).  It also peeled back
much of the rear upper chassis and sheet metal structure.  Since I'm 6'4,
the E36 passenger compartment does not need to compress that much before
I'll start to take damage.  To increase my chances against a truck next
time, I'm willing to trade some fun for peace of mind.  Maybe a 5 series
sport?

Mark Bradford
1997 M3/4 <--Headed for the junkyard :(