E30 M3 History

Okay, here's the kind of question that has probably been asked a hundred
times but the answer is always different:  What is the best E30 M3?  Through
numerous web sites I have become somewhat familiar with the different
Evolutions, but I have had a harder time getting good info on the '88-'91
E30 M3 model year differences (US models are what I am mainly looking for,
as I don't have an extra $50,000 for something from across the pond).  Are
there changes even any worth mentioning, or are all four years basically the
same?

I am considering purchase of a low-mileage '88 M3, and would also like to
solicit any comments, warnings, rantings, or ravings concerning this model.
Thanks in advance.  Please feel free to respond via private e-mail if this
information is rudimentary for the average digester.

Lance Hartsell
'88 535i with 201,000 mis. fabulous daily driver