Re: <E24> Overheating

> I bought a 1983 633 CSi about a year ago and am finally fixing all the
> little things that go wrong. One problem that seems to persist is over
> heating, about 3/4 - 7/8 on the gauge, when sitting in traffic on a hot day.
> It seems to hold a perfect temperature when driving a decent speed. Luckily
> I don't spend much time in traffic. Last time and the only time I had it to
> the dealer they changed the thermostat and fan clutch. I am now gun-shy
> after spending the money with no difference.
>
> Any ideas? I have noticed that the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator
> only comes on with the air conditioning. Is it supposed to come on when the
> car is overheating? Sure would make sense if it did. If so where do I find
> the sensor/relay/whatever?

Well, the aux fan is a prime candidate. If it comes on with the A/C,
then chances are the switches on the radiator are to blame. Get the
lower temp units (81C and 88C, if I recall correctly) - I think BMP
carries them, and probably others as well.

I would also suggest changing the coolant after a good flushing of the
system. I just did this, and used the new long-life coolant (I used the
VW/Audi stuff, but BMW and others have it too) - big difference. Cooling
is much improved across the range. Make absolutely sure that you flush
the system completely (block drain open, heater valve open, lots of
water) before introducing the new coolant.

Finally, is your fan shroud in place? If not, the efficiency of the fans
is being impaired.

Good luck.
- --
- -AEG

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
you.