reply: E24 overheating

Hi Piers,

About your query and your overheating 6'er...

> Any ideas? I have noticed that the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator
> only comes on with the air conditioning. Is it supposed to come on when
> the car is overheating? Sure would make sense if it did. If so where do I
> find the sensor/relay/whatever?

I have been through this recently myself with my 533i. There are two
switches that turn on the auxillary cooling fan. They are located at the
top of the passenger's side of the main radiator. The top one with the
white body is the low speed switch. The lower one with the red body is the
high speed switch. You can check them as follows:

low speed, white switch should close at 91 Celsius (196 F)
high speed, red switch should clost at 98 Celsius (210 F)

You can check the operation of the auxillary fan relays by removing the
leads from the above switches and jumpering them. The fan should run at low
speed when you jumper the leads to the upper, white switch and at high
speed when you jumper the leads to the lower, red switch.

The relays are located under rubber boots adjacent to the main fusebox
between the fusebox and the driver's side fender. The high speed relay has
two red&green wires leading to terminal 30 of the relay, the low speed
relay has a single red&green wire leading to terminal 30.

All of this information is available in the Bentley service manual for your
car - which is the very best $$$ you are likely to ever spend on it. You
can contact Bentley Publishers directly at www.rb.com or call them at
1-800-423-4595, or just contact Steve D'G at www.ultimategarage.com - I'm
sure he'd be happy to sell you a manual.

best of luck with your overheating and with your car!

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services