<MISC> re:interior illumination

Josh Murray asks
>I am wondering if anyone has ever attempted or has
>any input on changing the color scheme of the interior lights on a '90
>325is?
>Are the dash lights just colored bulbs or are the clear bulbs shining
>through orange lenses?

I just changed the bulbs in the instrument cluster in my E30 and this
is how they work:

they are 3 clear bulbs, 3 watt, the kind that you buy as a glass bulb with
wires dangling out of them and they push into a holder, the holder twists
into the board from the back

a little orange 'hat' fits over top of them and snaps to the instrument
cluster board (that is what makes them orange)

if you use 5 watt bulbs (like some previous owner of my car), the plastic
hats MELT into ugly misshapen blobs of plastic.

But basically, if you wanted to change colours, remove the instrument cluster
(see the FAQs), open it up, remove the plastic 'hats' and you will have
white light.

then use coloured bulbs (??) or some kind of 'hat' to fit over the bulbs.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002