Re: What are the possible tires

Kendrick (levoc@domain.elided) asks:

> I have a 98' 328iS with factory alloy wheels size 15x7j. The current
> tires are 205/60 R15. I was wondering what is the widest tires I can get
> for these stock wheels?
> I believe 225/50 R15 would fit, but could I go wider than that?

I'm behind with the digest again, but here goes. 225 will be fine on a 7"
rim; you would need 225/55, not 225/50, on your 15" wheels to keep the
overall rolling radius as close as possible to the stock 205/60 fitment.
The 225/55 size is very rare. Only one tyre is still available in that size
I believe - Michelin Pilot HX MXM, and although you may still find some
stocks of recently-discontinued Goodyear GS-Ns in that size, they're
reputedly not as good as the Pilots.

If you use 225/50, your choice is widened but be advised that the rolling
radius is reduced - your speedo will be out of true (reading higher than
your actual road speed) as a result of the overall gearing being lowered.
The shallower sidewall may give you improved steering response but as it's
not the right diameter, lack of suitability to the car's stock suspension -
should you keep it that way - may negate this benefit.

If you want to go for a less compromised set-up, keep the existing alloys
for the winter, and buy some good-quality, lightweight aftermarket 17"
diameter alloys for summer use.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew T