Re: [E36M3] suspension

Gary A. Preece wrote:

> I am going to upgrade my suspension and would like some input. My intention
> is to participate in driving schools and maybe autocross in the future.  I
> don't mind a stiff ride but I do not want something too low that keeps me
> from getting into my driveway.
>
> Should I go with Dinan Stage 1, 2, or 3?

I have the Dinan suspension (all three stages have the same impact on
ride height).  It does require me to enter a number of driveways at an
angle.  But its not the typical uphill driveways hitting the front spoiler;
that has not been a problem.  Rather, it is the dropoffs -- the center of
the bottom of the car tends to hit the high point.

> Or perhaps springs and Bilsteins
> from BMP to be put on at my local shop here in Louisville, KY?

Many other springs can lower the car twice as much -- that would prevent
me from getting into the garage at my workplace.  I'd try to keep to an
inch or less lowering of the car.  Note that the popular H&R springs come
in two varieties -- one lowers the car .75" like Dinan; the other lowers
the car 1.5".

> What would be
> the expected costs? I can get the Dinan stuff in Cinti or Indy.

The Dinan packages are fairly expensive.  You can get roughly equivalent
components separately for about half the price.  However, the Dinan
suspension is all designed to work together -- and works very well.
I've been very pleased with how neutral my handling is now.
So, if you aren't the type who wants to figure out how to balance the
stiffness of your shocks with the stiffness of your sway bars, etc.,
then Dinan may be a much better choice.  Of course, with all the
brilliance available on this list and the BMW Digest, you can probably
get adequate help in setting up a proper suspension for a lot less $$$.

Brian
98 M3/4, Shark infested, Dinan suspended and braced, X-braced, forged