Re: rear air bags

Rick asks:

> Can anyone comment on rear side impact airbags and children. The new E46 has
> them as an option and they are on the car I am purchasing.  However, I have
> two children 6 and 3 and was wondering if the safety issues about front
> mounted air bags are the same with the rear side impact air bags?
>
> Best Regards,
> Rick Shrier

There are a couple of good sites for information.  Check out NHTSA
(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) at
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
(IIHS) at http://www.hwysafety.org/airbags/airbag.htm to see what
they've got on them.  I run NHTSA's site and don't remember any issues
with those side bags and child seats but that doesn't mean there aren't
any potential problems.
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA