<E30> Fuel Pump

Hello Fellow Digesters.

    I have a 1989 325is with 150,000 miles on it. I had stopped at a
store and when I went to start it, the engine would just turn over. It
would start to catch, but then would cut out. Someone suggested the main
relay which didn't work when replaced. Then it was time for Mr. Bentley.
Undid the rear seat and access panel and jumped circuit 30 to 87.
Nothing. I tried 30 to ground with a multimeter and got nothing again.
Then I tried with the key in the ON position and got power. I tried 85
to 86 and got power when the key was ON. I also got power at the pump
with 30->87 jumped and the key ON. I even tried jumping the pump right
from the battery (I know that isn't in the manual, but it's a leftover
from my American Iron days).
     So, it looks like I have to get a new fuel pump, but before I plunk
down $200 for it, I wanted to see if there was anything more that I
missed. Also, I was wondering: the oxygen sensor heater relay (as
identified in Bentley) is the same and the fuel relay. Should this be?
Finally, while checking fuses and other bits of wiring, I have noticed
that my door chime is now working sporadically. I have had the car for a
year and never heard it before.

Bowing and scraping in thanks for your time,
Bruce
'89 325is