<E36> BMW Windsheild advice?

Hi, I have a '92 325iA sedan with 120k on it. It's time for a new windshield
as the current one (original BMW) has become a safety hazard due to
excessive pitting and swirling from the wipers. In the sun it is unbearable.
I don't want another BMW windshield as they are just too soft. The dealer
said it would also cost about $450 which seems rather expensive. I'm looking
at aftermarket installers. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio so if anybody can give
me the name of a good glass place in the area with reasonable prices I'd
appreciate it. The best estimate I've gotten so far is from a company called
Safelite which is a large national chain. They quoted $250. The claim their
glass surpases original factory standards and has a lifetime warranty as
long as you own your car. Has anybody tried them? I hear that HBI and
Sekurit are the common manufacturers of BMW windshields. My car is obviously
long since out of warranty but I have to wonder what makes BMW's so much
more prone to this pitting as I've seen lots of other high mileage non-BMW
cars with perfectly fine windshields. Now that I've done my Inspection II
and my wallet is $400 lighter, I want to get the windshield taken care of so
everything will be caught up. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

John

1990 750iL 54k
1992 325iA 120k