Re: Gyro Stabilizers (active vacuum)

>Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:12:25 -0400
>From: "Steve D'Gerolamo" <steved3@domain.elided>
>
>                        I guess it was a silly idea....next thing you know
>someone's going to
>suggest a big old horizontal cooling fan mounted low in the car and some
>serious ground effects so the car is effectively sucked to the ground (can
>you say Chaparral) during a race.  SD

Actually, this was done in F1 racing about a decade ago, and it created
enough downforce to make the cars pretty darn scary...  active downforce
was banned because the high speeds through the curves made passing harder,
and therefore made the racing less interesting to watch, as well as for
safety reasons (what happens if you lose a g of downforce in the middle of
a hard turn at 100... owwwww!)

- -Chris
Carpe Canum - Looks like a dog, tastes like a fish!